This is the site of the old Grey Friars priory. The Plymouth Brethren, who moved into the town in the 1840s, moved from their Gloucester Place premises to Friarn Street in 1868. The street is also the home of the local Quakers whose Friends’ Meeting House was built in 1722 and enlarged in 1801.
Running off Friarn Street is Horsepond Lane, once known as Wayhur, which translates as ‘horse pond’ to which the lane once led.
Text Copyright © 2008 Roger Evans