In 1903 the Board of Trade granted a licence to the Bridgwater and District Electricity Supply and Traction Engine Company to supply Bridgwater, Durleigh and Wembdon with electricity. The work had to be complete within two years and a generating station was built in Mount Street. The power came on supply in 1904 and the last area of the town to have its gas lighting replaced was St Mary Street. Amazingly it was gas that was used to generate the electricity. Only direct current was available and was sold for two pence a unit with a four pence or seven pence tariff if used for lighting. In time, the National Grid arrived bringing the safer alternating current. This left consumers with the interim problem of electrical items requiring one type of supply whilst the available supply was of a different type.
Text Copyright © 2008 Roger Evans