On the East Quay was once the Carver’s Yard, a ship-building yard complete with dry dock. It was here that the Irene was built and launched in 1907. She was especially designed to work the channel ports for the Colthurst and Symons Company. At the end of her days she was left to decay. She was rescued and restored and served until just a few years ago when an unfortunate fire almost destroyed her. At the time of writing, her future is uncertain.
Text Copyright © 2008 Roger Evans