The Town Hall was opened in July 1865, built by C Knowles using Bridgwater Brick, Wembdon sandstone and Bath stone for the architectural features. Three stories high, it is in the Georgian style with a stucco frontage and stands on the site of the old assizes court. For decades now it has hosted the annual carnival concerts which brings the greatest number of local residents to its auditorium.
On the first floor is the council chamber, now back in use since the re-establishment of a town council for the parish. Within the Charter Hall is an old photograph showing how the main hall was used during the riots linked with the brickyard strike when the hall housed the troops and police.
Text Copyright © 2008 Roger Evans
opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file opens IMAGE file